The following includes parent, teacher and student responsibilities and detailed information about studio life and policies. Updated November 2017.
Laura’s Thoughts: How I feel about piano!
Did I already mention I LOVE teaching piano?! Whether a student becomes a professional musician or just plays occasionally for fun, the discipline of practice and commitment in learning the piano will bring many future returns. It truly is an investment into a lifetime of enjoying music!
If you haven't read the research of the amazing benefits of music study at an early age see this very informative link
I commit to give my best in helping each student achieve his/her musical goals by :
- Being sensitive to individual personalities,abilities, and learning styles.
- Providing a patient, encouraging and enthusiastic atmosphere for learning.
- Giving all my students the opportunity to explore different types of music such as pop, hymns,jazz, folk, duets and classical music while being attentive to what is their favorite.
- Challenging, motivating , inspiring and hopefully puting a smile on each student’s face!
- Help each student discover his creative spark at the piano.
- Build confident,creative, and skilled musicians for life.
Parents: A key to success!
Please know how much I appreciate the opportunity to teach your child and pass on the gift of music! Your active involvement and interest gives your child a great amount of motivation and encouragement. It is essential to achieve a successful musical experience.
Help your child develop self-discipline and good practice habits by setting aside a consistent daily practice time. This is the best way to ensure it is completed daily and progress is made. Also, check your child’s piano notebook weekly, as that will explain in detail what to practice and prepare for lessons. Younger children(5-7) especially need help with practicing and theory books.
The student needs a piano! Keyboards have functional limitations so please communicate to me if this is what you have at home. Please keep your piano in the best possible condition and have it tuned yearly! I have a great tuner to recommend if you need someone! A student also needs a chair or bench at correct height, metronome, and proper lighting in a place allowing quiet (as much as possible !) and uninterrupted practice.
I welcome parents to quietly observe lessons at any time. Always feel free to communicate any encouragements, concerns, and ideas regarding your child’s music studies. Send me an email as I would love to hear from you!
Pictures and videos of my students may be posted on my website or social media with no names attached. Please see studio registration/agreement form (Resources)for more details.
Students: The teacher’s expectations!
Every student is expected to become a concert pianist, NOT!!! Seriously, this is not my expectation but developing each student into an excellent and well-rounded musician is! This means that every student will work on note reading fluency, theory, technique,ear training, musicality, and musicianship. Keyboard skills such as sight reading, composing, improvising, and ensemble playing(duets,trios,2 piano pieces) are included in every student's musical journey.
A student is expected to arrive at each lesson with all music, notebook, and a ready to listen and work hard attitude. I do require diligent practice five days each week but more importantly, that lessons assignments/goals are achieved on a consistent basis. This promotes progress which brings success and then motivation to keep practicing!
Most of all, each student is required to smile, have fun, and hopefully laugh at least once during the lesson!
Tuition: What does your investment cover?
Your monthly tuition covers much more than just the time spent in a weekly lesson. It also includes, but is not limited to:
- Your reserved individual/ group lesson, music class, piano party, performance class
- Teacher’s professional education and extensive experience
- Music teacher helper account
- Piano tuning and repairs on the grand, upright piano, digital keyboard and studio maintenance
- Use of music library and supplementary music
- Lesson planning
- Supplies for individual& group lessons,piano parties, and performance classes.
- Access to digital Roland keyboard/headphones
- Recital venue rentals, programs and rewards
- Lesson goals and practice incentive programs
- Teacher's professional growth/ training
- memberships to music organizations and piano music clubs.
Appassionata Studio is : A 12 month studio that runs from September 1,2017-August 31,2018
- For the Studio Year, Tuition is invoiced in 12 equal monthly payments.
- Tuition includes 24 individual lessons/9 performance classes/piano parties during the school year AND the summer session(see options under Summer Session)
- Tuition Monthly Rates:
- 30min individual lessons - $110 monthly;
- 45min individual lessons - $140 monthly
- 60min individual lessons - $170 monthly
- Tuition is to be paid by the 6th of each month. A late fee of $15.00 will be assessed after that time.
- Payments can be made by cash, check, Venmo, or PayPal
- Yearly increases and/ or cost of living may be applied to rates.
- Annual Fall registration/scheduling fee (non-refundable)of $10 per student due in August.
Summer is great time to explore music through camps and workshops! Learning with friends is fun! Longer individual lessons can bring amazing progress too! The studio offers different options to help your child continue musical growth in the summer months!
- Beginners through Level 2 method books: participation in piano camp(5days/2 hrs daily) and 4 individual 30 min lessons.
- ALL other students will have two options:
- Option 1- Individual lessons of 8/45 min or 6/60 min lessons
- Option 2- 4 Individual lessons and 1 piano camp/workshop
- Without summer participation,there becomes no guarantee of a spot available the next studio year.
- Due to the number of weeks the studio provides for family vacations and activities, there will be no make up lessons, reschedules, or credits offered in the summer session.
Lesson Attendance: Be consistent!
The student’s lesson time is expected take priority in your weekly schedule. This communicates to your child how important you feel piano lessons are. It is a waste of my time and your money if lessons are missed on a consistent basis. Some important considerations include:
- Each student taking individual weekly lessons is required to participate 1x monthly in a performance class or a Piano Party. Students are grouped together based on many variables including age, playing level, and where the teacher feels the student will be most productive and successful. These 60 minute classes primarily focus on theory games, ear training, performing for one another, music history, and having musical fun with friends!
- Students are expected to arrive punctually with lesson binder, and ALL books. Lesson time will not be extended to accommodate tardiness.
- In becoming part of my studio, you are committing to a full 12month Studio Year . Those students beginning later in the year are expected to commit through the remaining months of the studio year.
- A 30 day advanced notification is required in the event lessons need to be discontinued. In addition, an early termination fee of $100 will be assessed for breaking the studio policy agreement.
- Students waiting for lessons may play inside(designated areas) and enjoy the backyard play fort and trampoline. Please be aware that this is unsupervised and that parents take full responsibility for their child during this time.
Missed Lessons: What can be made up?
At times, other extracurricular activities, sickness, and unavoidable conflicts mean missing a lesson. With this understanding, the opportunity for 2 make-up lessons will be offered during the school year.
- Please make note of these dates on the studio calendar! It is the parent's responsibility to register for a needed make up lesson. Please go to the studio calendar and click on the days listed as make up lessons and register your child for any available time. If you cannot attend the make-up lesson days or a student misses more than 2 lessons, no deductions, reschedules,or credits will be given.
- A 24-hour advance notice is required and greatly appreciated (the day or night before) when a lesson will be missed, regardless of circumstances. Lessons missed without notice will not be made up or credited to your account. If a child wakes up sick or comes home ill from school the day of lesson, please call or text immediately.
- Performance classes, piano parties, music classes and group piano lessons cannot be made up or credited to your account.
- Any lessons cancelled by the teacher will be made up!
Lesson Evaluation: A valuable tool!
A written evaluation (either teacher prompted or parent requested) may be given annually to assess your child’s progress in many different areas: promptness, technique, theory, lesson preparation, practice and attitude. It is my hope these can be a valuable and insightful tool to help your child achieve greater success at the piano. Lessons may be terminated by the teacher in the event of an unsatisfactory evaluation, repeated failure to reach practice agreement and/or fulfill set goals for the quarter/year. However, every effort will be made to discuss these issues and find solutions with both the parent(s) and student for renewed progress.
Music Library/ Supplies: A BIG Savings for you!
This is available for supplementary music and supplies that do not need purchasing by the student (excluding the student’s main lessons books, metronome and flashcards). This library includes music/supplies for lessons, group lessons, sight reading and repertoire, technique sheets, etc., that is given to each student throughout the year. Most students borrow 3-5 music books each year! Please use these materials with care as younger siblings and pets can do them great damage! Music and supplies that are ruined or lost will be replaced at cost by the student.
Performance Opportunities: A time for sharing the gift of music!
I encourage students to perform and play for family, friends, community/educational/church activities as much as possible throughout the year. Sharing the gift of music is a wonderful opportunity to bless and inspire others!
- There are two required student recitals each year – Christmas and Spring. Details TBA
- Recitals are planned and scheduled months in advance which students spend several weeks to months practicing in preparation.
- They are important to your child's musical growth and help build community within the studio.
- If for some reason your child has extreme performance anxiety(being nervous is normal and not considered anxiety), please speak to me in advance. We will find some way to have your child participate and feel a part of the recital even if not performing.
- Some students will memorize their pieces, others will not. The teacher will decide the appropriate expectation for each student.
Contact me: I'd love to hear from you!
If you have any questions about this information, or need to leave a message concerning lessons, your child’s progress, etc., I can be reached via my contact page or by phone (call or text) 801-455-5539. Please leave a voice mail if you want me to respond by phone call and I will get back to you as soon as possible.